Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Is Christmas losing its luster?

Is it me, or does Christmas not feel like Christmas anymore? Commercials, movies, malls, Wal-Mart, Target…it’s just really hard to find the Christmas spirit this year. I can’t put my finger on it. Sometimes, I look back and wish I was 10 years old again. I miss the feeling of getting two weeks off of school at Christmas. I miss the anticipation of Christmas coming, even though it was 7 days away. I want the feeling back of not being able to go to sleep on Christmas Eve, knowing that just 18 steps from my bedroom lay the results of my letters, pleas and petitions to Santa Clause. I miss waking up on Christmas morning to the aroma of coffee and sausage biscuits perforating throughout the house, and seeing my grandma in the kitchen, knowing that she would be the first one to wish me a Merry Christmas. I miss the Saturday trips to the store with my dad, so I could shop for my mom and buy her nothing that she wanted. I know that I would still get the smile from her on Christmas day when she opened the box of horrible smelling perfume and her telling me that she loved it. I miss fighting with Renee on who got to play Santa that year.

We still have traditions in our family for Christmas. Calling each other on Christmas Eve and Christmas day to say “Christmas gift” first, even though there is no prize, it’s the principal of the matter! Taking the time to watch everyone open their gifts one-by-one to show off who got what, and watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on Christmas night quoting the entire movie. We also have the traditional (started 3 years ago) trip to Denny’s at 11:00 on Christmas Eve to get breakfast. I enjoy the traditions, but also like starting new ones. I guess I will have to see what ones we can come up with this year.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

At my Grandmother's Christmas party every year - all of the aunts, unlces, and cousins perform some sort of skit or other talent for the annual talent show. That's always entertaining to see what everyone comes up with.

Pam said...

I agree- it's been hard to get in the spirit this year. Could have something to do with the fact it was like 85 degrees for the whole month of November. Two things get me in the Christmas mood, however. #1 Christmas baking (sugar cookies, candy, zucchini bread) and #2 Christmas movies.

Elizabeth said...

This blog has lost its luster. That's why you've been tagged.